[...]
> The Chinook gunships never did play a large role in Vietnam as only 4 were
> ever built, only 3 ever made it to Vietnam and they only were actively
used
> for a couple years early in the war (Late 65 through mid-68). They were
very
> heavuly armed though. The main use of the Chinook in Vietnam was as a
> medium lift helicopter hauling cargo or larger detachments of troops.
>
> I suspect you're thinking of the very distinctive sound of the Huey's,
> especially in the Gunship role. Huey Snakes, and later the Huey Cobra were
> the primary gunships used in Vietnam.
>
> Note the Chinook may be loud, but the sound isn't terribly distinctive,
they
> sound very similar to a number of other twin-rotor designs, many of which
> were still active back then.
>
> If you want a really distinctive sound though, nothing matches the Bell
214's.
> They're a Huey on a serious case of steriods and sound exactly like that,
with
> a much deeper and slower version of the Huey's classic whop-whop sound.

this is a Chinook, the type of helicopter I'm thinking of. This video
doesn't capture the depth of the bass sound of the rotors, but it is a very
distinctive sound indeed, quite unlike any of the other types of helicopter
I see regularly (the usual police & traffic types) and which I used to see
when I was growing up on RAF bases - including hueys.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWb40UEXGMU>

Bob