> If you want a noisy Vulcan, try the flying testbed for the Olympus II
engine
> developed for the Concorde.  Just one of those engines was fitted
> underneath the belly of the aircraft. When they lit that one up it was
louder
> than all four of the regular engines.  And Concorde had four of those ...

Concorde was incredibly loud. It's no wonder it didn't get permission to
overflow land. It used to fly over here twice a day and was completely
unmistakable. Beautiful plan, but too loud.

We get a lot of Chinook helicopters flying over here too, and they are also
unmistable and very loud. You can feel the pounding in your chest long
before you can see them, or even hear them for that matter - some sort of
subsonic vibration seems to precede them.

On Saturday I went to the open-air (actually held in a big tent) opera. It
was La Forza Del Destino, and just as they started singing the bit that was
used as the theme music for Jean de Florette a couple of helicopters
appeared overhead and drowned it all out. The conductor froze the
performance between breaths and waited until the helicopters had gone far
enough away that we could hear the music again