Ah, very interesting, Doug!

It so happens my husband has a tv set-up as his monitor.  He bought a
Toshiba 32RV525RZ last year -- he likes the wide screen for his work.
It's an LCD panel... though I haven't been able to figure out exactly
which type.  Only a year old, but already discontinued... the new 40"
model appears to have an S-PVA panel...

I had dismissed his tv/monitor out of hand, as just a dumb television,
good enough for bit-twiddling, but not for my -ahem - art.  ;)  Now,
I'm having a second look...  Thanks for the suggestion.

-c