Ok, so I was lucky enough to attend a workshop with Les Walkling  who is a
really well-known Colour Management guru in Australia  (see here:
http://www.leswalkling.com/ ).  He has close ties with Eizo and so obviously
advocates their monitors.  However, I didn't have $5-$6k to spend on one
(and I needed two!) .  I asked him to recommend something that is more
within the average pro photographers reach, and he recommended either NEC or
Dell.  He told me the specific models, but I can't remember them.  I will
tell you though that the Dell he recommended has been superseded by another
model, which is what I ended up with - the U2410.  I have two of them set
up, side by side, and they KICK ARSE!  I also have a hood on them and
calibrate them at least once a month with the Xrite i1 system that Les also
recommended.

I will also tell you a little secret - I only paid for one of them!  Dell
mucked up and sent us two, a week apart, as per my request but we were only
ever invoiced for one.  At the same time, there was a stack of people
posting on www.wirlpool.net.au  (one of my favourite sites for news on all
things geeky!) about $6000 laptops that they had ordered/received and never
paid for!  Of course, those guys weren't revealing their true identities to
anyone as Dell has staff who work on the Whirlpool site, but every so often
another one crops up, and it seems to me that Dell must be losing a
bucketload of $$$ due to their cross-communications and poor recordkeeping.
Not that I am complaining! :)

Anyways, I love my U2410s, and they were retailing at the time (about 6
months ago) for aud$799, so pretty decently priced for what they are too.
The first few batches came out of the factory with issues of a "green" or
"red" glow over certain areas of the screen, but I  have had none of that
and the complaints about them have all but disappeared now, and I believe
that Dell was replacing them free of charge anyways.  They also come with a
full calibration report out of the box, which is a nice touch.

You can read about them here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1256560

And if you go here, there are all manner of discussions about great monitors
- these guys are all mainly gamers though, so you'll need to take only what
is relevant to your own needs when reading:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/129

Hope that helps!

Tan. :)

Tanya Love