Thanks, Bob.  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer -- I'm
finding it quite challenging to get a grip on the many facets of color
management.

So, my intended use is also for photoshop and printing, with one
caveat:  I have no desire to do my own printing (my head hurts enough
as it is).  The goal is come up with a system whereby I can reliably
send out files to be printed, with minimal frustration.  I am a bit
reluctant to try to "future proof" my decision now, especially if my
current set-up won't benefit from the DisplayPort upgrade.  I figure
by the time the rest of my equipment is capable, the corresponding
monitors should be more mainstream & affordable than they are now,
anyway.

But, I haven't ruled anything out yet.  One thing that seems to make
sense from what I've been reading, is to go with the bundled
monitor/calibration system, which is also available for the P221...

Thanks again,
-c