Thanks for the input! I think I may have come up with the best option -- a sort of reverse monopod.

A 1/4" bolt through a length of lightweight chain. Run the bolt through one end of the chain (making sure the link is smaller than the head of the bolt) -- screw into the camera, step on the other end of the chain and pull it tight while shooting.

It'll provide a fair amount of stability, and when not being used, can be carried in a pocket.

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/waltergilbert
http://waltgilbert.posterous.com/ <http://polipix.posterous.com/>
Contact Me Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/walt.gilbert>Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/walt_gilbert/>Twitter <http://twitter.com/walt_gilbert>

--- @ WiseStamp Signature <http://my.wisestamp.com/link?u=ypgdb385pypw7fhb&site=www.wisestamp.com/email-install>. Get it now <http://my.wisestamp.com/link?u=ypgdb385pypw7fhb&site=www.wisestamp.com/email-install>