> Walt, just a few comments on you post.
>
> I started shooting seriously more than 30 years ago and learned a different
> approach to shooting due to the fact that I was shooting film. Some of  the
> people I go shooting with now would go through a roll of film in a matter
> of minutes if they were shooting film rather than digital. They truly are
> shooting and praying. When I was shooting weddings, I had to get the shot in
> one
> shot if possible. sometimes, like groups, I would shoot more than one shot
> because of blinkers, etc. but, for the most part, we had to get it right the
> first time. Plus, we were shooting medium format so there were only 12 shots
> per
> roll. I also am forced to using a tripod physically due to my shakiness. I
> did
> shoot at times without the tripod, as I am sure you remember, but my success
> rate is much lower when I do so. A tripod forces you to slow down, compose
> more
> carefully, and pay more attention to you exposure as well as improving
> overall
> image sharpness. This is a shooting style that takes effort to adopt but is
> worth it in the long run. It also means less time in post, culling and
> editing,
> and processing your results. The trust in your equipment comes with use and
> time. Slowing down and examining your settings and composition before you
> shoot
> helps you to learn what your equipment is going to reward you with. As far as
> staging, true, you can't tell a butterfly how to hold it's wings, but you can
> determine the "decisive moment" but that is a skill that everyone must
> develop.
> Be it a butterfly or a drag car launching, the photographer pushes the
> "little
> round thingy" to quote Doug. I am not saying what shooting style is best,
> only
> how I approach a shoot. You have to  develop your own shooting style as well
> as
> your own visual style, and I do believe that they directly influence each
> other.
> Well, off the soap box and thanks for your patience.
>
> Ted

Great, I was going to write something like that, even how long I have been
shooting .-)  I started photographing 33 years ago when I was young and didnĀ“t
have too much money for film. Now I just hate deleting stupid pictures so the
effect is the same.

I usually start by walk around or looking at the subject, trying to find out
what caught my interest, visualizing how the picture could be, and then start
photographing. Even then I tend to take few pictures, sometimes only one. No
tripod, even when using large format, because it removes the flexibility and
slows down the reactions.

DagT