My oldest memory is of a family trip to Bear Lake. I remember my grandmother and grandfather, aunts and uncles. I remember splashing my feet from the gunnel of a row boat, being held safely in the boat by my uncle Bill. I remember collecting little sea shells in the sands of the beach.

Upon our family's return to Salt Lake City, Utah that weekend, my father read from one of the newspapers that had accumulated on our doorstep...he read that an atomic bomb had been dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.

That was at the end of summer, 1945. I was three and a third years old.

Richard Bush