On Jan 12, 2011, at 11:53 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> On 1/13/2011 4:43 AM, Brian Walters wrote:
>> The only problem with Gmail these days is that Google has a _validation
>> process that involves them contacting you by mobile phone_ before you can
>> set up the account (yes, I know that shouldn't be a problem but some of
>> us - OK, probably only me - don't have such device....).
>
> I gotta spell it out and loud - what the fuck google is thinking of
> themselves???!!!

I think it has to do with gmail's role as an app for smart phones. I had to set
up a gmail account when I bought an android phone from Verizon. Didn't bother
me in the least. Don't use the address, but it certainly didn't make me angry.
There are lots of weird things going on in the world of interconnectivity as
the players stake out their territory. If it doesn't affect me personally, I
don't give a damn.
Paul