On Jan 13, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> Paul, like you I also have an Android (Google's OS for smartphones) based
> cell phone. It seems to me that you have confused it a little. When I got the
> phone (with the number of the local provider, obviously) and fired it up for
> the first time, I was asked to give my GMail account to "initialize" the
> phone or "connect it to the cloud" or whatever would be the term. Android
> phones seem to be unable to operate without a GMail account stored somewhere
> deep inside them.
>
> What I am trying to say is that my (local) cell phone number is a part of
> contract between me and the respective operator. Google is no part of it.
> Even if I were to take the Google Nexus phone, I would think that the same
> reasoning would have applied.

I believe android is Google's operating system, so they are certainly part of
it. I didn't have a Gmail account, so I had to open one to purchase an android
phone. I'm sure it's no accident that android requires gmail. It's Google's way
of trying to establish a connectivity base -- much like that of Macs, iPads,
and iPhones.
Paul