Paul, like you I also have an Android (Google's OS for smartphones) based cell phone. It seems to me that you have confused it a little. When I got the phone (with the number of the local provider, obviously) and fired it up for the first time, I was asked to give my GMail account to "initialize" the phone or "connect it to the cloud" or whatever would be the term. Android phones seem to be unable to operate without a GMail account stored somewhere deep inside them.

What I am trying to say is that my (local) cell phone number is a part of contract between me and the respective operator. Google is no part of it. Even if I were to take the Google Nexus phone, I would think that the same reasoning would have applied.

Boris