There are a couple of things going on here.  Obe is that Google
tries to give you the fastest route between your origin and the
destination, so you're likely to end up on interstate highways.
If you force the route to go along Skyline drive (by dragging
intermediate points), you'll see another one of the contributing
factors. The driving directions get red-flagged with the message
"This road my be seasonally closed".