I know where you can get one (and a nice TV dinner).
-----Original Message-----
From: John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com>
Sender: pdml-boun...@pdml.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:39:09
To: <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Cycling in New York

From: Ann Sanfedele

> Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
>> >The problem, Frank, is that the bikes in the traffic lanes DON'T go
>> >the speed of traffic;  they run through lights and cut in and out and
>> >THEY make sudden swoops onto the cross street and back, cutting
>> >through pedestrian traffic, scattering tourists in all directions.
>> >
>> >The bike lanes are relatively new, and they provide a lot of safety to
>> >both cyclists and pedestrians.  Unfortunately, those who are impatient
>> >create a safety hazard.
>> >
>> >Dan
>> >
>> >On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 2:15 PM, frank theriault
>> ><knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'd much rather be right in the middle of a car

> Second that...
> Really,  in NY there are so many reckless people on bikes you really
> can't imagine...
> and on a noisy street if you are a slow moving pedestrian you are in
> peril frequently..
>
> You can't hear the bikes approaching and they are particularly bold when
> there is stand still
> traffic with cars...  and many don't realise how scary they are for the
> old and fragile - whooosh!

I hate that.

Maybe they could make it a law requiring cyclists to have a playing card
sticking into the spokes. That way you could at least hear them coming
up behind you.

> The bike lanes are useful for , at the very least, if people stay in
> them  warning we who neither drive or ride bikes
> that a bike might be coming down the lane.  But you still have to look
> _both_ ways.
>
> at first I thought it was a bad idea too... but it really is working in
> my neighborhood.
>
> In the best of all possible worlds in Manhattan, all private cars would
> be banned  just busses , necessary business deliveries and
> bikes and trikes and pedestrians.

Or do like the old sci-fi stories predicted and segregate the commercial
delivery truck traffic off into underground tunnels; something like what
Underground Atlanta started out as.

> The holier than thou attitude of some riders in New York and being
> yelled at by a twenty year old on a bike to get out of the way
> when I'm crossing the street with the light and he is running it ain't
> so much fun.
>
> ann

One of the reasons why I don't own a gun.

-----
No virus found in this message.