On Saturday, July 16, 2011, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I do need to monitor how much I'm spending and how much cash I have on hand,
> but I don't need to record gas prices to accomplish that. A minor point to be
> sure. I regret expressing surprise that some folks record gas prices.

I don't think you understand, Paul.

I track expenses incurred from operating the car. Some of the
operating expenses are a business expense, so I need to know how much
that is in order to be sure my job rates properly cover the expenses,
to keep an eye on whether there are any problems developing,  and so I
can do the accounting for my taxes accurately.

I dont record the price of gasoline specifically, but it is trivial to
calculate what it was since I know the milge and the amounypt of fuel,
and what the cost of filling the tank was forevery transaction.

I track my incidental expenses so that I'm never in the position of
wondering, "where did my money go?"

Its not a lot of time to spend to be sure that I've got all the
information I need to keep my finances well-managed.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com