Joe Tainter recently mentioned that some things he used regularly on the
PZ-1p, like switching program modes, or switching between 2-second and
12-second delay, are on the MZ-S relegated to Pentax functions, where it is
more difficult (and slower) to change them.   I find this to be true as
well, and I also find it more difficult than on the PZ-1p to check my ISO
settings quickly.  Joe also noted true that if you put an MZ-S in a
backpack, the camera can turn itself on.  Not only does that happen, but the
rubber eyecup falls off easily in the same motions.   Mine is already lost,
in fact, the result of shooting in the rain on a dark night trying to get
the shot fast and keep everything dry.  Beware of that, and leave the eyecup
at home under your more difficult circumstances.  Joe's preference for
aperture priority through the body, not the lens, is also echoed by me,
having been spoiled by the perfectly elegant operation of the PZ-1p's Hyper
Modes.   That camera simply cannot be beat in this respect.

So what are the best arguments in favor of the MZ-S?   Probably it's great
integration with the very capable 360FGZ flash.  I can't think of a single
missing feature with that combination.   My AF280T is now in fact for sale,
including it's wide angle adapter, even though I have not yet tried the
minus 10 degree tilt of the 360FGZ on the MZ-S for on-camera macro coverage
with my 100mm f2.8.   The 280T did macro TTL perfectly with its minus 15
degree tilt on the PZ-1p.   I suspect 10 degrees minus might not be enough
given that the 360 sits higher on the camera, but of course it can be used
wireless, so hand-holding the flash for macro with no cord should be very
easy.  My 330FTZ flash is also for sale, but I'm keeping the 500 for the raw
power.

A second feature I think is very nice is use of the camera with the TS-110
interval timer switch.   You can place the camera in advance in a location
you might not want to try to reach when the action commences, and when the
time comes the camera goes off, firing again and again at whatever interval
you set, as many times as you wish.  Now, on the Nikon F5 and other such
total spec cameras, I imagine that interval shooting might be built-in.
Pentax gives you the function in a separate cable release that does indeed
cost about $140, but you would pay probably as much for the feature anyway
in cameras in which this is internalized, and you add the bulk to the camera
body.  The option of having the feature outside the body is clever and saves
bulk and weight for when you don't need the feature.  I've already used the
timer to interval shoot indoors, even with the wireless flash off-camera.
The clock in the timer is very accurate.  Synchronize it with your wrist
watch and you will know exactly when the camera will fire.   The
possibilities, as I'm sure you can imagine, are endless.  To me, the TS-110
is an indispensible feature of the MZ-S system.