Mark wrote:

>Joe Tainter recently mentioned that some things he used regularly on the
>PZ-1p, like switching program modes, or switching between 2-second and
>12-second delay, are on the MZ-S relegated to Pentax functions, where it is
>more difficult (and slower) to change them.   I find this to be true as
>well, and I also find it more difficult than on the PZ-1p to check my ISO
>settings quickly.  Joe also noted true that if you put an MZ-S in a
>backpack, the camera can turn itself on.  Not only does that happen, but the
>rubber eyecup falls off easily in the same motions.   Mine is already lost,
>in fact, the result of shooting in the rain on a dark night trying to get
>the shot fast and keep everything dry.  Beware of that, and leave the eyecup
>at home under your more difficult circumstances.  Joe's preference for
>aperture priority through the body, not the lens, is also echoed by me,
>having been spoiled by the perfectly elegant operation of the PZ-1p's Hyper
>Modes.   That camera simply cannot be beat in this respect.
>
>So what are the best arguments in favor of the MZ-S?

The best arguments in favour for the MZ-S is all of the above. Frankly, I
find the "arguments" somewhat constructed.
Firstly, toggling between 2s and 12s delay of the self timer is no more
work than choosing the self timer on the Z-1p in the first place; on the
MZ-S you can choose self time by flipping a switch; on the Z-1p you have to
press a button turning a wheel, then turn another wheel - this is the same
procedure as setting custom function on he MZ-S so what's the big deal?
Secondly, very few, if anyone, toggle between mirror lock and self timer
all the time. Even if you do, again this is no more work on the MZ-S than
selecting mirror lock/self timer on the Z-1p. On the Z-1p, you have to
choose self timer or mirror lock every time you want to use it.
I don't understand the ISO setting argument either. My MZ-S display the ISO
setting so how could it be easier?
My MZ-S never turns it self on or activate switches when used in a
backpack. Mine is also literally jumping about in a speed boat without
activating any functions.
The MZ-S does beat the Z-1p when it comes to hyper modes as well. You don't
get simultaneous available aperture priority and manual mode on the Z-1p.
You do get that on the MZ-S. To me, all the features above set the MZ-S
apart from the Z-1p. And then theres the AF, Dataimprinting, lack of
vibrations, built + accessories etc...

Pål