On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> From: Matthew Hunt
>
>>> My current (planned) configuration is a Gigabyte mainboard with Intel
>>> i7-960
>>> and 32GB ram (maxed out).
>>
>> You're buying new parts? I'm happy with my i7-930 that I built a year
>>
>> and a half ago, but I don't see any sense in investing in Socket 1366
>> parts at this time. It's at end-of-life:
>>
>> http://www.anandtech.com/show/5216/intel-discontinuing-some-clarkdale-lynnfield-and-sandy-bridge-desktop-cpus
>>
>> The Sandy Bridge (Socket 1155) parts are faster for the same price,
>> and have at least a chance at an upgrade path.
>>

> According to the Mainboard specs it's Socket H2 (LGA 1155) and the CPU is
> Socket H2 (LGA 1155).
>
> Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
>
> Actually, it looks like the i7-960 is no longer available since I put this
> together and it will be i7-2600 instead.

Yes, the i7-2600 is Socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge), but the i7-960 wasn't.
The i7-9xx were Socket 1366. Totally different beasts from different
generations, requiring different motherboards.

>> If you stick with the i7-960, you're sure you have a MB with onboard
>> video? It's not part of the CPU or the X58 chipset. The 1366 platform
>> is pretty focused on people adding high-performance graphics cards.
>> Some (but not all) Sandy Bridge CPUs include on-CPU graphics, and some
>> (but not all) motherboard chipsets allow you to use those graphics.
>>

> Video Chipset:          Intel® HD Graphics (CPU embedded)

Right, again, that's a capability of the i7-2600 and Z68 chipset. It
would not have been the case with an i7-960.