on 2012-09-03 20:15 Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote
I don't use Evernote or any other app that saves my notes to a network
based server because I often am making notes about things which are
under non-disclosure. I want complete and explicit control of my
files, local to the iPad and not copied to any service.

few of the things i keep notes on are that sensitive, but it's worth pointing out that Evernote has built-in selective pre-encryption for part or all of any note, with which your info is secured even from those who might get hold of your hardware; reliable syncing and ease of use are Evernote's killer features, but security is there if you need it

i also use 1Password, which can store any file or text, not just passwords, and within which _everything_ is similarly pre-encrypted prior to syncing via Dropbox; all my passwords are in the cloud, but they are very secure

by contrast Dropbox itself and iCloud are less secure; though your data is encrypted en route and in the cloud, there are employees with back door keys, and those with access to your hardware can still get your info unless you have taken additional steps