On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> that's it, i think it _is_ too complex and confusing, particularly if one
> wants to move images bidirectionally between computer & iPad

That's a matter of opinion. I don't find it confusing or complex, nor
do several million other people from the reports and feedback on the
iOS devices. Several million others probably want something different
too, of course. ;-)

> a key point is that these channels are mutually exclusive — if you switch
> channels you delete all the photos from the other without warning

Yes. You pick ONE methodology and stick with it. There's little point
to requiring that all things must allow every possible methodology to
be used simultaneously.

> how does this work with the non-hierarchical folders on iOS? can the tree
> have only one subfolder level?

The 'tree' is one subfolder deep: nested folders of images on Mac OS X
become one Photos album on iOS. That is:

given

~../GiPod_Photos/Polaroids_1/xyz.jpg
~../GiPod_Photos/Polaroids_1/Additions/ZZZ.jpg

that will become the album

 "Polaroids_1" containing xyx.jpg and ZZZ.jpg

in the Photos app when transferred to iOS.

You can use this to your advantage if you think about it.

> is there a way to update an exported folder automatically from Lightroom
> whenever a set changes? i currently use Aperture for both static image sets
> such as my father's and stepfather's photo catalogs, and smart sets such as
> "★★+ in the four months" and "★+ in the last two weeks" (those are stars for
> those of you without Unicode email); the smart sets are extremely convenient
> for a rolling review of my recent work on iDevices; i had to merge my static
> sets from iPhoto to Aperture to make this work though
>
> in my contemplated switch to Lightroom i face awkward workarounds to keep
> things flowing smoothly; if i use the folder sync at all, i lose *all* the
> auto-syncing with Aperture, and i'll have to do repeated manual updates

Lightroom allows creating published folders on your hard drive. As you
add or subtract things from the published folders and publish them,
they are updated on disk ... it's an automated export process. So you
can create published folders mapping to the folders you sync to the
iPad as albums easily.

Or, what I do, is create Export presets that allow you to output
images formatted a particular way to whatever location you want. They
can contain the location information as well.

One things for certain: each tool will do things differently, with
different capabilities and features.

> this is a good workflow, and a nice summary of it; it will work well for me
> insofar as it flows from camera to iPad to computer, but where i think it is
> most complicated is going back to iPad; with Aperture it's not too bad, but
> it's giving me regrets about my plan to use Lightroom;

Just output from Lightroom to your master folder tree, one level deep,
as albums. Anything hyou change in those folders will be reflected in
what ends up on the iOS device exactly. It's simple.

> ... there is also the
> fact that you can't selectively delete from the iPad unless you use Image
> Capture, which splits the workflow unless you are using Image Capture anyway
> (e.g. because you use Lightroom)

You do the album editing by manipulating the files on your Mac OS or
Windows computer. Or by creating and moving files in Photos' albums on
the iPad, except for deleting.

If you need more capability than that, there are dozens of other image
portfolio apps available that will allow you to do significantly more
rearrangement and tweaking of your image files on the iPad.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com