On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> on 2012-08-03 13:57 Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote
>
>> (on Mac OS X:
>> Image Capture, iPhoto, Aperture, and iTunes will all allow image
>> transfers in both directions.)
>

> unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that; here's my
> experience, correct me if i'm wrong:
>
> Image Capture can only transfer from iPad to computer, not from computer to
> iPad; iPhoto or Aperture on their own can only transfer from iPad to
> computer (via Import); iTunes can transfer sets from iPhoto or Aperture *to*
> the iPad, or, if you tell iTunes to "sync" with a folder on your computer,
> it will transfer those photos to the iPad, but only when they meet certain
> conditions; transferring from a folder to the iPad will also delete any
> photos previously transferred from iPhoto or Aperture; as far as i can tell
> iTunes can't transfer images from iPad to computer

Yes, it is a little more complex ... I wrote too quickly. But you've
made it sound too complex and confusing.

- First, the iPad (and other iOS devices) all have the same Photos
app. The Photos app allows as many different albums of photos as you'd
like, but only the Camera Roll, Imported, and Last Import albums
contain photos created by the camera in the device itself or
transferred via the Camera Connection Kit.

- Image Capture moves image files from the Camera Roll and Imported
albums to a Mac OS X computer, storing them into a folder of your
choice. There is a similar tool provided for Windows computers. iPhoto
and Aperture both use the same routines as Image Capture to move files
from the devices to their own image repositories, however you prefer
to use them. All three apps allow you to delete files after moving
them to the computer from the iPad; Image Capture can also just delete
what you want to get rid of as you wish easily.

- iPhoto and Aperture allow you to organize photos into albums. Or you
can organize photos into folders for uploading instead.

- iTunes will move images to the iPad either directly from iPhoto's or
Aperture's albums, or it will move images to the iPad from a directory
tree of folders in the file system. Choose of the three sources and
work with it. (I have a folder tree that I add folders of images to,
each representing an album once on the iPad; I don't use either iPhoto
or Aperture. If I did use one of the two applications to organize or
edit my photos, I'd export them to a folder first, just like I now do
with Lightroom. When I sync the iPad with iTunes, it moves all the new
images to the Photos app as an album.)

- iTunes will also allow you to drop photos (and other documents)
directly into individual app's file systems on the iPad. (iOS apps
each maintain their own, sandboxed and secure, file system for
documents they can work with.) Drop your documents as desired into the
apps that you have on the iPad and sync ... they're there for you to
work with. You can also retrieve documents created by those apps from
the iPad directly to your computer using iTunes.

So the workflow is:

- upload from card or camera with the Camera Connection Kit
- create new images with the iPad too (the new one has a much nicer
camera than the iPad 2)
- edit on iPad (results go into Camera Roll or direct to online
services per your options)

- download original and finished work with Image Capture, iPhoto or
Aperture, to computer as you please.

- Edit if needed. Organize finished work as albums either in iPhoto or
Aperture, or in the file system as JPEG files in a directory tree.
- Upload to the iPad by using iTunes.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com