Den 29. aug. 2012 kl. 07:25 skrev DagT <li...@thrane.name>:

> Den 29. aug. 2012 kl. 00:18 skrev steve harley:
>
>> on 2012-08-28
>>
>> if i were deciding how such a company should protect its work, i would treat
>> it as a trade secret, not as a patent
>
> You obviously haven´t been involved in cases where employs steal ideas and
> start competing firms. Believe me, it has been tried and didn´t work.

But I forgot the most important part. Patents are about sharing. You give
information in return for protection. The word Patent itself means Open and the
system was made to avoid secrecy.  So the advanced seismic algorithm may be
used for acoustic studies of blod circulation (the math is quite similar)
without any licensing, and hjelp saving lives and saving research money.

Because, in realitet you cannot patent algorithms as such. They have to be put
in a context, some use or technical problem.

DagT