on 2012-08-29 1:16 DagT wrote
Den 29. aug. 2012 kl. 07:25 skrev DagT <li...@thrane.name>:
But I forgot the most important part. Patents are about sharing. You give
information in return for protection.

good point, i agree patents _can_ promote sharing and give incentives for it, but i guess i'd say that while they may do that somewhat in the software world, there is much evidence that the process is faulty; and you pointed out that it's hard to keep trade secrets anyway

i think open source, at a minimum, shows that other methods can also promote sharing and create commerce for those who innovate; it's not perfect either, but perhaps we could say we need more innovation in our methods for rewarding innovation ;?>