On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Rob Studdert
>>
>> On 9 April 2013 05:02, Steve Sharpe <d...@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> In my experience, PC's don't have the longevity of Macs.
>>
>> Not my experience, I run Dells, IBMs and homebrew systems (based on
>> top line components) and I have many reliable dell desktops that I
>> really can't believe are still working away perfectly and servers that
>> are ancient, the only boxes that I have found to be truly unreliable
>> are the IBM 1RU servers, I've had an inordinate amount of them die
>> after only 5 years service. The system that I am working on right now
>> had a supply date of June 2007 and many of my displays are older than
>> that, in fact I should look into my old work horse HP2065's as they
>> have an hour meter for the screen power and back-lighting (curious as
>> they all still calibrate very well).
>

> This computer I use for rummaging around on the internet has got to be close
> to 15 years old. It's still got the "Certificate of Authenticity" from
> Windoze98 on the shell from when I first built it.
>
> Of course, I've repaired it & updated it so many times I think the only
> original component left is the floppy drive ... which no longer works.

Okay, so just the metal case is 15 years old. Not sure that really
supports the argument. :-)

The PC that gives me access to the Intertubes is an HP Vectra from
1999. It is 100% original, and is running 24x7 as a firewall (running
FreeBSD though, not Windows98 that's on the sticker). I do have a cold
standby for it though. Major components in there are HP-custom and not
easily bought. It replaced a 1994 HP Vectra VL3 that is now on a shelf
but most likely still works. I also have a 2003 vintage IBM desktop
that's running my VoIP voicemail system and some net services. Also
fully stock, 24x7, and running FreeBSD perfectly.

Well-spec'ed hardware from any company can last a good while. It's
just that consumer PCs are usually not well-spec'ed whereas Apple
stuff for consumers tends to be. It makes more sense to compare office
grade PCs to Macs when evaluating.

--
-bmw