Brian:

Beware that the roasts that are typically used for espresso and
derivatives is very different from that in Europe, and I'd say from what
I had in Sidney (although, probably to a lesser extent).
After trips to France or Italy, for some 2-4 weeks, I couldn't drink
esperesso back in the US.

Once, I asked the owner of the coffee cart that had nice coffee
(compared to what you have in the US) about that difference. She told me
that a bunch of people had asked her (it was on UCSD campus, so there were
many people from Europe or who had travelled to Europe). They tried to
look for a supplier of a "european-style roast", but it would have been
prohibitively expensive for them to use that coffee, so they never did.

Bipin:

Tastes are different, so I wouldn't try to convince you of anything
different; I am just sharing my point of view.
In my opinion, the ubiquitous Starbucks (in the US) provides
mostly consistent average-to-mediocre quality of coffee and a bunch of
sugary coffee-drinks. None of those drinks stand close to the quality of
their European counter-parts found in Italy (and, at least for espresso,
- in France). Typically, local, "moms-and-paps" coffee shops would
provide better coffee (with a caveat of possible broader distribution
of quality).

I do not patronize Starbucks, unless it's a matter of survival (e.g.
need a pastry in lieu of breakfast at a scientific conference, and
there is nothing else at the convention center).
One reason is the quality of coffee, but a more significant reason is
their predatory practices.

One example, I observed myself in San Diego downtown around 2005-2008.
There was a very popular family-owned, coffee shop "Cafe Bassam" with a nice
atmosphere http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-bassam-san-diego .
I've seen 3 Starbucks that were set up within 0-3 blocks from that one,
one being just across the street. It was pleasant to see that nearest
Starbucks being rather empty on weekend nights, while Bassam was
crowded. Then, Bassam was forced away to move out. (They still exist,
but now in uptown.)
The story I heard, albeit second hand was that when it was time for
Bassam to renew the lease, Starbucks made an offer that was factor of
"X" higher than what was the going rate (I don't know what that "X" was,
but somebody said it was between 2 and 3.).
Bassam couldn't afford that and had to find a new place.
As far as I know Starbuck never even moved in that place.
I moved from San Diego right around that time, so I don't know what
is there now. Actually, Google Maps street view shows not Startbucks there
(corner of 4th and Market, 401 Market St, San Diego, CA 92101-6932)

Igor

Sun Apr 21 14:04:11 EDT 2013