Buy a tin of Illy, it is EU roast, and imported to North America. Get dark
roast, the medium doesn't do it for real flavour :-)

Gerrit

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Igor Roshchin
Sent: April 21, 2013 2:59 PM
To: PDML@pdml.net
Subject: Re: OT - Coffee terminology in the USA

Brian:

Beware that the roasts that are typically used for espresso and derivatives
is very different from that in Europe, and I'd say from what I had in Sidney
(although, probably to a lesser extent).
After trips to France or Italy, for some 2-4 weeks, I couldn't drink
esperesso back in the US.

Once, I asked the owner of the coffee cart that had nice coffee (compared to
what you have in the US) about that difference. She told me that a bunch of
people had asked her (it was on UCSD campus, so there were many people from
Europe or who had travelled to Europe). They tried to look for a supplier of
a "european-style roast", but it would have been prohibitively expensive for
them to use that coffee, so they never did.