From: Ann Sanfedele
On 6/30/2013 11:53, Aahz Maruch wrote:

Honestly, this really is for your own good.  I bet that if you disable
all plugins and extensions, this problem goes away.  If you have
JavaScript enabled, you REALLY need to upgrade, or you're asking to get
cracked.  Ditto if you access any SSL-enabled sites.

I'm personally extremely unhappy to get stuck on the upgrade treadmill,
but today's malware environment pretty much requires it.

I buckled under too... for the same reason.. but haven't yet updated
java to latest - dragging my feet on that.

I've allowed firefox to upgrade whenever suggested lately.

ann

Ok, here's the deal:

The problem with Mozilla started on Saturday, 29Jun2013. Every time I
launch the browser, I get TWO tabs - homepage & Plugin check.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

I have to tell NoScript to allow Mozilla.org before I can see the
plugins being checked.

*ALL* of my plugins are currently up to date except for Quicktime (more
on that later). I had to disable Quicktime.

I cannot log in to Mozilla.org support. It tells me my username or
password is incorrect. I cannot create a new account because my existing
account is already linked to my email address. I will have to create a
new email account if I want to create a new Mozilla account so I can log
in to Mozilla.org "support".

Searching Mozilla.org, I find a question about the same problem I'm
experiencing. The topic was CLOSED as FIXED 2 years before I encountered
the problem. None of the solutions proposed back then work.

Quicktime - You can't just download it, you MUST HAVE AN ACCOUNT.

Apple won't let me use my iTunes username/password to download Quicktime.

Apple wouldn't let me create a new account to download Quicktime because
my email address is already linked to my iTunes account. I can't update
Quicktime because I can't log in to my existing account & I can't create
a new account.

So, I have disabled Quicktime. When I start Firefox, I still get the
same two tabs & when I look at the plugins, Quicktime is not shown.
All of the other plugins are current and up to date.

I'm looking to see what other browser options I might have. It will
*NOT* be Windoze Exploder, and it will *NOT* be Chrome. Probably not
Safari either given the number of horror stories I've heard about it &
the problems I'm already having with Quicktime.