On Mon, Jul 01, 2013, steve harley wrote:
> on 2013-07-01 14:33 Aahz Maruch wrote
>>
>>Well, I do have something very specific in mind.  ;-)  I'm highly
>>keyboard-focused, and I have yet to figure out how to easily switch
>>between multiple terminal windows spread across multiple virtual
>>desktops.  (E.g. five desktops each with three terminal windows.)
>>Admittedly, I haven't tried 10.7/10.8 to see whether they've fixed my
>>problems.
>
> okay, so it is much more than just "remotely like" the linux
> feature, but you want some specific behaviors ? i am fairly
> keyboard-focused as well, but not a purist; i am also using 10.7, so
> i may not know some 10.8 details
>
> command-backtick switches among the various windows open in one app,
> and i use it all the time, but it won't switch to a window of the
> same app in another space (what Apple calls desktops); i do find
> that slightly frustrating, but i just switch spaces (and if the same
> app has windows in that space it will remain active); i usually
> switch spaces with control [left or right] arrow but control
> [number] will take you to that numbered space (you can redefine all
> these shortcuts)

(Now that I'm finally both at my Mac and looking at this list...)

This all functions differently from the way I remember it working in
10.5/10.6 -- Apple made some small but significant changes in the way the
keyboard works.  While that alleviates my concerns on one level, it helps
very little on another: Apple is constantly tinkering with their UI and
I think it's reasonable for me to worry that they might break things
next release.  But at least this is an option if I can't get the Linux
software working for me, and I can certainly start using this on my Mac.

Note for anyone wanting to try out Spaces (which is now part of Mission
Control), you have to create them by activiating Mission Control and
putting your mouse cursor in the upper right-hand corner.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/