On 5 Mar 2014, at 02:12, "Bruce Walker" <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Worse still IMHO is that you must accept the b&w rendering that the
> camera applies. That's like using a single film only for all your
> shooting and seems awfully limiting.

In a great many creative endeavours, self-imposed (and even externally-imposed)
limits can lead to great outcomes. For example, in classical French theatre
writers such as Racine worked within very strict limits imposed by the dramatic
unities and by the type of vocabulary that was acceptable. I seem to remember
my French teacher at school saying that in his entire works Racine used less
than 5000 words.

Similarly, some of the greatest French plays and drama came about because their
writers had to conceal their message beneath layers of meaning in order to
avoid censorship.

And HCB worked within very strict limits he set himself, and is the defining
photographer of the 20th century.

Perhaps its a Gallic thing, because Shakespeare did whatever he wanted (within
the limits of the sonnet form, of the iambic pentameter, etc). But still,
limits are not necessarily a bad thing for a creative person.