On 05/03/2014 11:23 AM, Matthew Hunt wrote:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, you can use colour filters on the lens to get back some control.
But still not as much as the raw colour output from un-neutered
cameras.

On the other hand, those Bayer CFA filters block a lot of light. If
you know you want the effect of a yellow filter, for example, it
should be[*] advantageous to shoot a monochromatic sensor with a
yellow lens filter (which passes both red and green light to every
pixel), instead of each pixel just seeing just red, or green, or
(unwanted) blue light.

There's also Mike Johnston's point that if he's shooting a B&W camera,
or a camera loaded with B&W film, he sees the world differently. That
surely affects people to very different degrees, but I think I can
understand a bit of it.

[*] ceteris paribus, of course, which I'm sure it isn't.

When I shot film, it was almost exclusively black and white, and my composition tended to ignore colour in favour of texture. Since I started shooting digital, with it's automatic colour output, I am finding that my compositions now tend towards taking the colour of the object into account. I don't think I am a better photographer for it, either.

bill