I shot almost all BW film back in the day, primarily because I wanted to do my
own processing. Plus I was shooting for pulp paper car mags that wanted
primarily BW 8x10s. I didn’t necessarily think in terms of textures, but rather
in terms of how colors would translate to shades of gray. For example, I was
painfully aware, for example, that medium red and medium green would come out
almost identical without filtration. I still think that way when I’m planning a
BW shot, which I sometimes do prior to opening the shutter, but I know I can do
the filtration on the computer. Love that part of it. Wouldn’t want to
sacrifice that by working with a BW only camera.