Thanks for that, Jens. I recently did a similar test between the HD 55-300 & FA 100-300. At f8 there is virtually no difference but wide open, the HD is considerably better than the FA. I think you will find something similar between the HD 55-300 & DA 60-250 if you repeat the experiment at f5.6. Of course, the 60-250 is still very sharp at f4 and by far the best lens if you can afford it. Paul Stenquist's bird shots even with the 1.4x TC are quite impressive. I use an F7 and with the FA 100-300 handheld I need to work at f8/ISO800 but with the HD 55-300 I will hopefully be able to work at f5.8/ISO400. Unfortunately the K7's sensor is rather noisy from ISO800 upwards.

BTW, what is the location of your test shots? Looks like fish trap supports in a river estuary.

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Jens Bladt
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 7:41 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: atRe: Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens - recommended?

Hello

The 55-300mm is a surprisingly good lens considering the very low cost.
Only outpassed by the 60-250mm by quite small differences.

Look at:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=86896645@N00&q=55-300

Regards
Jens

Den 11-01-2015 kl. 20:50 skrev Eric Weir:
A message I attempted to send when it would have been timely. I’m resending as it remains true.