You should always try out your equipment before doing anything important to avoid just such embarrassments.

A friend didn't take that advice and when demonstrating a jet turbine powered electric generator had it violently explode during the demonstration. It was embarrassing to the tune of about 2 million dollars.

Not that I'm suggesting that you experienced that level of embarrassment, but it's a cautionary tail, and it's pretty funny, /now/,