To improve the success rate with large groups I follow some advises:

 * I tell them to go closer to each other. CLOSER!
 * You must see my lens with both eyes, otherwise you are covered partly
 * If there is a flashgun I tell them to see the flash with both eyes
   otherwise there will be a shadow on your face
 * While shooting, Speak to them to keep attention (jokes and/or
   compliments)

Greetz, Jos