Gonz wrote:
I think where
Pentax is lacking is in a system.  They last had a complete system
back in the LX days.  Unless you plan on using only zooms, their prime
offerings are mostly still from the film era like the Limited series,
or the DA lenses that can sometimes be used in FF.   But say I want a
very wide prime?  The only options are used older film era lenses
(15mm 3.5).
A lot of the old film era lenses are great on digital bodies, but some aren't. I wish Pentax would curate a set of FA lenses that work well with the K1 and give them an upgrade to shake off the perception that they are past their prime and also to offset any uncertainty about how they will work on digital bodies. By "update" I mean reissue with newer coatings (HD), replace cam AF with SDM, maybe make them WR. Reissue FA limiteds as DFA limiteds - but only reissue the ones that are truly excellent on digital bodies. Rework some of the APS_C glass, like the 60-250 f4 - that were designed to be full frame but don't quite cover the entire full frame sensor to make them compatible with FF bodies.

I don't know how lenses are made but it seems to me that upgrading existing lenses would be more cost effective than designing new ones. And it would yield the dual advantage of shaking off that perception that "its an old film era lens" and also overcoming uncertainty about how well it will work on digital bodies.

If Pentax really wanted to work it, they reissue some classic optic designs in upgraded modern form. Like the Takumar 135 f3.5 as an SDM AF HD WR lens... or K 24mm f2.8. Keep the optical formula but upgrade them to AF etc. People want the newest and most advance tech, but they are also drawn to the retro classic historical stuff.

Made for digital neo-Takumar DFA Limited lens with all the bells and whistles - and great optical performance - could be real winners.

Mark

---
https://www.avg.com