Hmmm, I've been lusting over Fuji's stuff for a while now, maybe this
is the push that I need.  On the other hand, I read something like
this:

https://petapixel.com/2018/05/17/ricohs-new-camera-sdks-open-the-door-to-3rd-party-apps/

Which I've been advocating for years now.  There are few things that
can create more buzz and excitement than an active third party
ecosystem that gives you applications and features Pentax/Ricoh could
not dream of.  This is what made Apple the phone brand that it is,
maybe this will revive the Pentax brand and allow it to survive.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 6:25 PM, William Robb
<anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 2:57 PM Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>
>> On 14/5/18, Gonz, discombobulated, unleashed:
>>
>> >Thanks for the insightful commentary.  Sounds bleak for the most part.
>> >I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that the Pentax ship is
>> >sinking and its time to board a new one.  Don't know which one
>> >however, but it seems that mirrorless is taking over to some degree.
>> >I would like to keep my best lenses if they are able to be mounted on
>> >whatever new platform I move to without too much hassle, so that
>> >remains to be explored.  If not, expect a butt load of lenses to be
>> >offered to the gang here.
>>
>> Gonzosaurus - if you are serious, I would heavily recommend trying out
>> Fuji stuff - with the added advantage that your pentax lenses can fit with
>> a simple adapter.
>

> The Fujis are gorgeous. I handled an X-T2 and an X-H1 as well. My major
> complaint with the viewfinders seems to a great extent to have been
> resolved. They have put in an accelerated refresh rate mode that takes the
> refresh up to a hundred times per second. Apparently it swills battery
> life. The trade-off for a decent viewfinder seems to be short battery life.
>
> I have a cheap Chinese adapter for putting Pentax lenses onto my X-T1, it
> works well enough. I saw an adapter with an aperture ring on it for making
> control-free lenses work.
> Truthfully, the Fuji works better than the Pentax for pre control-free
> lenses. The Fuji does away with the green button kludge and turns the X-T1
> into a crop sensor Pentax LX.
>
> The K3II is probably as good a still camera as the X-T2 for the most part.
> Perhaps not as fast, but both are 24mp sensors. The X-H1 is still 24mp, but
> it looks like it has much better video. It is also quite large.
>
> The Fuji lenses are every bit as good as anything Pentax has on the market.
> The real lovelies are the 14/2.8, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and the 56/1.2
> I would say that those 4 are must haves.
> And yes, I have them.
>

>> Beyond that, Olympus make some good kit, albeit Micro 4/3rds so the pentax
>> lenses will offer different angles of view, which is not necessarily a bad
>> thing....
>>

> My late friend and mentor, Brian Schneider used an Olympus in the later
> years. He was a Pentax and Leica user when I met him in the mid 1970s. We
> sort of lost touch for a few years, and then reconnected in the mid 1980s.
> He went from Pentax to Nikon to Canon to Panasonic to Olympus from the mid
> 80s until the end. Much of my Pentax equipment came from him. I suppose in
> a roundabout way, the PDML can thank him for the infliction that is me. I
> would likely have not looked at the brand in 35mm had it not been for him
> and the fact I already had a 6x7 (also his recommendation) and liked it and
> it’s ponderous beastliness.
>
> Here:
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/klatuu13/albums/with/72157642969810854

> [...]

-- Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding
it still. Dorothea Lange