True that.  Pentax definitely is lower cost at or close to equal
quality or performance (except for AF, where it still is behind).  And
that is the major reason I started with Pentax back in 1979, they were
clearly more affordable and had a great reputation.  I think where
Pentax is lacking is in a system.  They last had a complete system
back in the LX days.  Unless you plan on using only zooms, their prime
offerings are mostly still from the film era like the Limited series,
or the DA lenses that can sometimes be used in FF.   But say I want a
very wide prime?  The only options are used older film era lenses
(15mm 3.5).  I would have to settle for a zoom to get a new wide
angle. I can't even get third party prime lenses for Pentax, like some
of the more lust worthy Sigma Art Series, its not worth the expense of
manufacturing to them. Its also true of the long lenses.  If I want a
600mm f4.0, or even a 400mm 2.8, I have to get a used film era lens
(good luck with that), or I could settle for the DA560mm f5.6 (I hear
its useable FF).  A Nikon, or Canon user doesn't have this problem.
Yes you will pay more, but at least you have the option, with Pentax
you have to jump in eyes wide open.