I see your point Bill, and you arguments make a certain amount of
sense as far as Ricoh's direction.  But where I diverge in my opinion
is the survival part.  Granted there will always be that cadre of
Pentax die hards, but as you can see from the average age of pdml
posters, its only going up, not down.  I.e. there is very little new
Pentax "blood" coming in.  So someone who is just coming into the high
end/pro side of photography will in all likelihood migrate to one of
the big three i.e. Canon, Nikon, Sony.  Well at least as 35mm is
concerned.  I think medium format is a completely different beast and
I wont even venture an opinion on that.  Then there is Leica, but they
are also on a different league altogether when it comes to high end.
So where does that leave Pentax?  With a reputation of a lower
cost/amateur manufacturer, they will have a real hard time competing
in the space with those big boys and all their resources.  The market
is definitely shrinking, and it makes perfect sense to go after the
only remaining market not eviscerated by phone cameras (though I've
seen pros starting to move there too and even making full movies with
them), but whether they will survive or not is a crap shoot.

--
-- Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding
it still. Dorothea Lange