I wouldn't say I've had bad luck with the lens, anyone who's seen my equipment knows I don't baby it, (though in the case of the 70-210mm my current version looks very nice, I've been a lot more careful with it), the biggest problem is a lot of parts are now made of unobtainum, and while the outside of the lens is very robust metal or plastic covered metal in many cases, (though there are a lot of purely plastic parts), simple vibration over time, will cause some of the interior screws to work loose and get into places where they can wreak further havoc beyond the original issue of the screw coming loose.

The information brush is especially fragile, and is easily damaged by at least two different basic failures, mostly because the first inkling that there's something wrong with the lens is the zoom ring going beyond it's limits, which mangles the brush.

Once that's happened you'll have to fabricate your own brush as no repairman I know of will do it for you, they don't have the tools and won't improvise beyond a certain point, for fear of being blamed for further problems later, and well the lens just not having that high a resale value to make it worth trying to replicate such a delicate part.

In case you're curious, part of my information comes from partially disassembling one of my lenses on my own*, part comes from the information I got through email conversation with the tech who fixed my second lens, and part from this page

<https://web.archive.org/web/20110317023023/http://members.shaw.ca/hargravep/70-210.htm>

by a former member of this group, unfortunately now deceased, stored in the wayback machine.

*This not to blow my own horn by the way, I got to a point where I found the mangled brush and realized that I'd get no further without jigs and tools I just didn't have and were beyond my poor skills to synthesize.  A shame really as the first lens was the best optically of the three, second being the worst, but not my much and the current one being somewhere between the other two, (ah, sample variation strikes again).