I’ve been using this for years with both my iPad Air 2 and Meg’s iPad Mini 2.
And we each had earlier versions of the iPad, and never had an issue reading SD
cards.
I downloaded the latest iOS a few days ago, and I just verified that the SD
reader dongle does still work.

Cannot imagine what the issue might be…

stan