Pierre Joye in php.pecl.dev (Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:39:59 +0200):
>I would never ever suggest to compile ssl statically.

I do not want to be dependent on SSL DLL's with flaws in it. See this
bug in the SSL 0.9.8 libraries:
http://sourceforge.net/p/curl/bugs/1037/?page=3
That is why I patched SSL 0.9.8r and compiled the recompiled SSL libs
into curl.exe

SSL 1.0.1e does not have that bug, but on mixed environments with PHP
5.3 and 5.5 you have got a fat chance you'll use possibly flawed 0.9.8y
SSL-DLL's.

>That does not prevent to compile php_curl statically btw.

But php5ts.dll/php5.dll will still need external SSL DLL's.

Jan