Evgenii, List,

Thanks for posting a link to your paper. When I clicked on the blue portion
of the link I wasn't taken to your paper but to Preprints.org. Later I cut
and pasted the entire hyperlink (including that which was not shaded blue)
and got to a page with a link to your paper. Just before doing that I
looked for it on the internet by title and found that the complete
hyperlink, https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202603.0037 takes one
directly to your paper.

Best,

Gary R



On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 6:50 AM Evgenii Rudnyi <[email protected]> wrote:

> List,
>
> I could give you an example to discuss this issue - a burning candle.
> Recently by using this example, I have discussed sophisticated
> relationships between theoretical and experimental physics. It could be
> interesting to analyze this in your terms.
>
> My starting point is Faraday's book "The Chemical History of a Candle"
> (1861). This is a mixture of theory and experiments at the level of
> chemistry and continuum mechanics. There are no words about atoms there.
> Now there is statistical and quantum mechanics and new experiments
> related to this example. Hence our understanding of what is going on in
> the burning candle greatly expanded. It gives a good possibility to
> discuss this development in semiotics terms.
>
> In my paper there are no equations, but general knowledge of physics is
> still required. Provided there is interest and hence questions, I could
> answer them here.
>
> Burning Candle and Levels of Organization, 2026, PREPRINTS.ORG,
> doi:10.20944/preprints202603.0037.v1
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Evgenii Rudnyi
>
>
> Am 30.09.2026 um 01:01 schrieb Gary Richmond:
> >   Helmut, Jon, List,
> >
> > Before turning to the details, I want to thank you, Helmut, for
> introducing
> > and developing this topic. It has led me to think again about how
> semiosis
> > operates in relation to real-world experience -- something I haven't
> > considered in quite this way or with this intensity for a long time.
> >
> > I think your analysis has several strengths. Your distinction between
> *parallel
> > signs* and *subsequent signs* seems right as different communities may
> > indeed attend simultaneously to different aspects of the same object,
> while
> > subsequent semioses may enter into an object’s developing history. I also
> > agree that every kind of generality needn't be called a symbol: that crow
> > that repeatedly drops walnuts onto a hard surface to break it open has
> > acquired a practical habit. That habit, while obviously not verbally
> > symbolized still, in Peirce’s broader sense, functions through a *general
> > habit* such that the crow’s learned behavior has at least a symbol-like
> > dimension (although I'm uncertain as to whether that's the optimal way to
> > express it).
> >
> > I have a few reservations regarding some of your other remarks. First, I
> do
> > not think that every object possesses an 'unchangeable core identity.'
> That
> > seems to introduce a fixed essence where, as I see it, continuity itself
> > may be a sufficient explanation. For example, I remain the same person
> from
> > one day to the next, and not because something immutable underlies my
> > various 'changes' (Phillip drunk today, sober tomorrow in Peirce's famous
> > example), but because my present condition is historically and bodily
> > (indexically?) continuous with my earlier states. This is to say that
> > *identity* may consist in the *continuity of an ongoing history*. I would
> > be very interested to read Jon's take on this matter.
> >
> > I also do not think that differences in immediate objects 'migrate via
> the
> > interpretant into the dynamical object'. Certainly a given interpretant
> can
> > *affect* conduct, and conduct may change the physical or social
> situation.
> > But the relation seems to me to be much more indirect: object --> sign
> >   -->  interpretant --> *conduct  --> changed situation**.* Nothing moves
> > backwards from the immediate object into the dynamical object. but
> semiosis
> > can lead to conduct with which subsequent semiosis has to adapt to.
> >
> > There may also be counterexamples to what I see as too strict a
> distinction
> > between parallel and successive signs. One may interpret the same museum
> > specimen differently tomorrow without the specimen itself changing --
> > successive signs needn't involve a changed dynamic object. On the other
> > hand, 'parallel' interpretations *may* bring about actions that do change
> > it. For example (although admittedly highly unlikely), the biologist
> might
> > analyze tissue samples as at the same time the museum curator makes the
> > decision to put the specimen on display concurrently with the taxidermist
> > completing his work.
> >
> > I think that there are counter-examples to your claim that every object
> is
> > a boundary object. Suppose I put a  piece of quartz I find in a drawer
> and
> > never show it nor mention it to anyone. It remains an object but it does
> > not mediate between distinct social worlds. It makes more sense to me to
> > say that virtually any object *can become* a boundary object, but that it
> > does so only when it functions across different communities while
> retaining
> > an identity across their differing practices.  Otherwise, it seems to me
> > that 'boundary object' would become just another name for 'object' so
> that
> > the concept of 'boundary object' loses its distinctive -- and potentially
> > useful -- meaning.
> >
> > Finally, I also question your claim that 1.  an unchangeable core
> identity,
> > 2. interpretive differences entering subsequent dynamic objects, and 3.
> > every object being a boundary object can be established by deduction
> alone.
> > Certainly deduction can tell us *what follows if those assumptions are
> > accepted*, but not whether they adequately describe actual experiences.
> > Indeed, your own abductive and inductive procedure -- forming the
> > hypothesis and seeking counterexamples -- seems much more
> methodologically
> > Peircean. So, I would suggest a narrower conclusion: an object may be
> > differently represented while remaining identifiable as the same object,
> > but it becomes a boundary object only when different communities
> recognize
> > and use it within their respective communal practices.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Gary R
> >
> >
> _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
> ► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON
> PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected]
> .
> ►  <a href="mailto:[email protected]";>UNSUBSCRIBE FROM
> PEIRCE-L</a> . But, if your subscribed email account is not your default
> email account, then go to
> https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
> ► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and
> co-managed by him and Ben Udell.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
►  <a href="mailto:[email protected]";>UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEIRCE-L</a> . 
But, if your subscribed email account is not your default email account, then 
go to
https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and 
co-managed by him and Ben Udell.

Reply via email to