Eugene, Michael, List,

Eugene wrote:

"I see no reason for calling Peirce a structuralist,         (042714-1)
since even a structure, in Peirce, is a habit-process,
however slow or even seemingly invariant that inveterate
habit may be: it remains potentially subject to growth.
Why not simply acknowledge Peirce’s thoroughgoing
processualism?"

It seems to me that it may be useful (pragmatic ?) to recognize two
aspects of "structures"  -- (i) something that remains invariant upon
transformation, and (ii) something that evolves (or varies) continuously
with time.  These two kinds of structures occur in biology widely -- (i)
genes remain mostly invariant within an organism's 'ontogenic" lifetime,
and (ii) genes of a species constantly change/mutate over the evolutionary
(or ‘phylogenic’) time scale.  The information carried by the former
structure may be referred to as “synchronic” while that carried by the
latter “diachronic”, to borrow the terms from linguists [1].

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701

www.conformon.net

Reference:
   [1] Ji, S. (2012).  Synchronic Versus Diachronic Information.   In:
Molecular Theory of the Living Cell: Concepts, Molecular Mechanisms,
and Biomedical Applications.  Springer,  New York.  Section 4.5, pp.
92-95.  PDF available at conformn.net under  Publications < Book
Chapters.