Tom, Sung, list:
I might be wrong or naive, but I have always given for granted that, according to Peirce: diagrams, algebra, language itself, etc, were icinic due to the category of Relation rather than simply Analogy, which is only a sort of relation, ratio, logos (kata-analogon means just that: according to a proportional relation) and likewise. Perhaps my misunderstanding derives from the importance that Whitehead and Russell gave to relations (internal, external). I stand to be coorected with gratitude. However, in Peirce's New List, as I recall, secondness is defined as Relation and, likewise, the three categories are themselves described/ defined as correlates. There is a privileged trichotomic involvement, if not implied entailment, for diagrams; a kind of virtuous circularity in which semiosis allows for Rhematic iconic legisigns as diagrams as well as for natural and artificial languages in accordance to their relevant trichotomies. If Relation is pervasive (both in analogies and icons considered as relations) I beleive that there is a timeless quality and a categorial Firstenss inherent to it.
Best,
Eduardo Forastieri-Braschi