Dear Mara, lists -
Certainly it is through an index that WE know about the cause of the crater.
But the physical process itself, the meteor creating the crater, is not an
index. The index relies upon causal, purposive and other actual connections
which are not, in themselves, signs (or only trivially so).
Best

Den 15/09/2014 kl. 19.09 skrev Mara Woods
<mara.wo...@gmail.com<mailto:mara.wo...@gmail.com>>
:

Perhaps saying that it is an index does add one thing. It says that instead of
knowing that the crater was caused by a meteor through direct perception of the
event, we know it because we inferred it based on what was left behind.

Mara Woods