Koichiro wrote:

" . . Prigogine’s requires some exogenous conditions making it dissipative
in the first place."                                     (8578-1)

Isn't this also true with your reaction cycle ?  All dissipative structures
are thermodynamically
(e.g., negativity of the Gibbs free energy changes accompanying dissipative
processes) and quantum
mechanically (e.g., conservation of chemical valencies, or the number of
chemical bonds;  hydrogen = 1,
oxygen = 2, nitrogen = 3, carbon = 4, etc.) selected to be dissipative
under the environmental conditions
involved.

" In contrast, the network-catalytic reaction cycle can have some
endogenous capacity for making it                         (8578-2)
dissipative, though of course to a limited extent, thanks to the chemical
affinity extending from the inside
of the cycle toward its outside."

I think the Brusselator (see Figure 1 in the APPENDIX) also has the
'endogenous capacity for making it dissipative".
The intermediates, X and Y, produced in the first (i.e., A ---> X) and
third (i.e., B + X ---> Y + D) steps in the Brusslator,
may be what you call the "endogenous capacity for making it dissipative",
and hence the Brussleator  may be
"network-catalytic" in your sense (if I understood you right).

"It functions only when the metallic catalysts such as cerium ions are
provided externally. Those metallic                   (8578-3)
catalysts are inorganic in the sense that their presence is independent of
the operation of BZ reaction."

This is true, but isn't it also true that all living systems depend on
externally provided metallic catalysts
like the BZ reaction ?

In formulating this email, I noticed that the Brusselator actually can be
viewed as a system of three chemical
reaction networks coupled to one another in an irreducible manner:

(1) A ------> X

(2) B + X ------> Y and D

(3) 2X + Y ------> 3X

What is interesting is the regularity exhibited by these reactions:

Reaction (1) is "unimolecular",
Reaction (2) is "bimolecular", and
Reaction (3) is "termolecular"

so that they should obey the First-order, Second-order and Third-order
kinetic laws, respectively.  Can it be that  these three
different orders of kinetic laws are essential for all self-organizing
reaction-diffusion systems (SORDS) ?  Also can it be that
SORDS constitutes a mathematical category as shown in Figure A with the
three "structure-preserving mappings" f, g and h,
as tentatively identified in the legend?

                   First-order kinetics ----------->  Second-order kinetics
----------->  Third-order kinetics

                                               ^

 |____________________________________________________|

Figure A.  The Brusselator (and by extension all self-organizing chemical
reactions) as a token/instance/instantiation of the ur-category.
f = uncatalyzed reaction (?); g = catalyzed reaction (?); h = heritable
reaction (?) implementing "information flow" from one generation
to the next mediated by the 'endogenous' catalyst (?).

For the convenience of future discussions (if there be any), Figure A may
be referred to as the "irreducibly triadic mechanism (ITM)
of self-organizing reactions", including "self-replication".

If these considerations turn out to be true, in principle,  it may be
justified to conclude that

"The Brusselator [1] is the test-tube version of ITM, the Princetonator [2]
(i.e., the origin of biological infomration based on          (8578-4)
the concept of "frustrations" which is equivalent to that of "conformons",
conformational strains of biopolymers storing energy
and information thought to be necessary and sufficient for driving all
goal-directed molecular motions in the living cell [3]) is a
the natural versions of ITM, and the hypercycle [4] and the Bhopalator [5,
6] are the cellular versions of ITM."

and that

"All these theoretical models constitute an irreducible system of
explanations essential to account for
 (8578-5)
the origin of LIFE, SIGNS and INFORMATION."

With all the best.

Sung

-
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701