Howard, Gary F.,

Howard, I don't see why a rock's hitting the ground on a lifeless planet shouldn't be taken as occasioning a measurement. That's the sense that I got for example from Gell-Mann's _The Quark and the Jaguar_. I can see how people can disagree about which interactions constitute measurements, but the key thing that seems to distinguish the biological situation is not a measurement per se but a kind of evaluation or appraisal or act of classification, reflecting the living thing's interests as a member of a species or lineage, and those interests have to do with reproduction of fertile offspring. To keep in the spirit of applying philosophical semiotic to biosemiotics (at least through analogy), let me add that reproduction (as opposed to mere repetition) of observations has been called the 'sanity check' in science, and biological self-replication could be called a health check, or fitness check, except that capacity to reproduce fertile offspring is not just a check but is of the essence of biological fitness (likewise reproduciblity of results, at least in principle, is of the essence of scientific fitness). Within the organism, there must be the replicability, reproducibility, of information that you discuss.

If there is something like evaluation or appraisal in nonliving things, things that lack vital interests that the appraisals would reflect, then such appraisals would seem of a rather lower grade than in living things, - I guess something to do with the common end of entropy increase in an isolated system as a whole, or the conservation of certain quantities when physics symmetries hold. (Things get murky to me here.)

I'd agree that living things' capacities for measuring, sensing, detecting, are evolved to lend themselves to evaluational semiosis; they have a 'bias' or selectiveness for sensing the things that evolutionary quasi-experience has shown to matter, to be worth the attention of the evaluative faculties.

I think that a focus on the measurement's function for species- or lineage-purposeful appraisal would keep one from having to take sides in physical theory on whether measurements require living brains, living systems, or simply bodies. To me that seems an advantage, but you may see advantages that my lack of background keeps me from seeing in a particular physical definition of measurement in those respects.

Best, Ben