John, Stan, lists,
In fact, if an ecosystem has got a self, based on self-organization, then my theory about the clear-boundaries-premise is wrong. So I am asking: Is the self of the ecosystem reducible or not reducible to: 1.: Natural laws, and 2.: The selves of the organisms taking part of the ecosystem and their communication with each other? Eg. Does a social system have a self? Luhmann said, it has an intention. According to my view (final cause, needs / example cause, wishes) it has a self then. But: Is this really so? Or is the self of the ecosystem reducible to the selves of the members? I guess the answer is in your papers you mentioned (John).
Cheers,
Helmut

Von: "John Collier" <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>

Helmut, Lists,

Some identifiable entities that have self-organizing properties like ecosystems do not have clear boundaries in most cases. I developed the notion of cohesion in order to deal with dynamical identity in general following the memory case. There are too many papers I have written on this to summarize here, but they are on my web site. I have two papers on ecosystem identity with an ecologist, also accessible through my web site. I do think that memory is an emergent property, but I don’t think it need be (memory in current computers, for example). Cohesion is often reducible (as in a quartz crystal, perhaps, but almost certainly in an ionic crystal like salt). So I developed the nonreducible notion autonomy based on ideas from Kant that is based on boundary conditions and self-organization and thus is basically information based. I also have about 10 articles on autonomy on my web page. One that might be particularly useful here is Self-organization, individuation and identityRevue Internationale de Philosophie 59 (2004): 151-172. A more recent one with similar ideas is A dynamical approach to identity and diversity in complex systems. In Paul Cilliers, Rika Prieser eds. Complexity, Difference and Identity: an Ethical Perspective. 2010 Berlin: Springer.

Obviously, I don’t think that “self” is hard to grasp scientifically, if you accept self-organization as a possibility. Maturana does not, and thus leaves self (and thus his notion of autopoiesis) rather lame.

I would say, though, that some form of self-production is required for a self, but not self-reproduction, though it may often be a part of self-production.

Cheers,

John