Jeff, Ben, Howard, lists,

I like the way Stan described "self" in [biosemiotics 8669]:

"When I try to imagine my own selfhood I visualize neuron connections -- a
unique pattern of neuron connections, some -- the most important ones of
which -- have been maintained for years, some of which are perhaps only
days old. Thus a self is a pattern of activity, a collection of likely
pathways of energy flows."

I have long felt that "self" and "consciousness" are somehow related to the
neural firing patterns of the brain.  For convenience, we may refer to
these neural activities as "neural dissipative structures" or "neural
dissipatons" more briefly.  ('Dissipative structures' can be defined as any
material systems whose non-randomly organized components become randomized
when the energy supply to the system under consideration stops: e.g., EEG
disappears when the brain runs out of energy.) The "self" encoded in the
neural network of a brain may be identified with what Prigogine (1917-2003)
called "equilibrium structures" which I shortened to "equilibrons" in 2012
[1].

The philosophical discussions on "self", "consciousness", and "mind" may be
greatly facilitated, if the physics and chemistry of these mental states
are taken into account.

All the best.

Sung

Reference:
   [1] Ji, S. (2012).  The Triadic Relation Between Dissipative Structures
(Dissipatons) and Equilibrium Structures (Equilibrons).  *Molecular Theory
of the Living Cell: Concepts, Molecular Mechanisms, and Biomedical
Applications*.  Springer, New York.  Pp. 76-78.  PDF at
http://www.conformon.net  under Publications > Book Chapters.

--
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701