John,

Just butting in. Quite accidentally happened to open this mail of yours. Quite interesting. The topic I am working on.

Left me wondering how this may be connected with the concept on continuity in CSP's later work. - Pointing out any point in a continuous line, means breaking up the continuity, he writes. It is only allowed temporarily, and then it should be done consciously, with the determination of coming back to continuity.

With species, there is not and cannot be, any point you can point out as the starting point, or the ending point. - It is possible to define "the middle" (whatever it is), but the start as well as the end,can never be pinpointed.

Do you (and the phylogenetists you are refering to) agree with this?

Kirsti