Howard, lists,

Howard, you wrote,

   If one thinks this way, then every physical event is a measurement.
   That won't work for an empiricist.
   [End quote]

I've held off on replying because I didn't understand that remark and I've blamed myself. Could you elaborate a bit on it? What does empiricism have to do with not regarding every physical event as a measurement?

(I had been thinking of every physical interaction, or at least every physical event complete enough to show conservation, as an imprinting of information onto an environment, onto a body, etc. and, in that perhaps overly special sense, a 'measurement', anyway a spreading of news irrespectively of whether that body constitutes a living thing or a person that (or who), as a practical matter, can read the information. In other words, I'm trying to avoid the idea that actual persons or living things need to conduct a measurement in order for decoherence to occur.)

Thanks for your further comments below. I agree that 'functional', 'useful', 'fitness', and 'virtue', are somewhat vague and apt to depend on other vague terms for their partial clarification (e.g., virtue as 'due' behavioral disposition that has 'strength' or 'force' to oppose 'pressure' against it - prudence as due caution despite pressure or temptation to do otherwise, and so on, systematically if not without vagueness).

Best, Ben